March 10, 2010
Quinoa + lentils + walnuts
- .5 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 can lentils (but surely some of those tiny red uncooked lentils would cook in just delightfully if added during step 2… just make sure you add more water as well)
- .5 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and carrot for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir for a couple of minutes, mostly because it’s just so lovely watching it get all toastedy.
- Add water; cover; cook on low for 10-12 minutes.
- When the quinoa is done, stir in the lentils and walnuts.
In other news: SPRING! I know, I know–I have now jinxed it and the universe is already laughing at me as it plots a wicked blizzard in order to teach me a lesson. But oh! I had a moment of pure bliss earlier today when, after stepping out of a store and instantly going into my defensive shoulders-to-ears posture, I realized that the air actually felt… nice. And it smelled, as my friend put it, “almost happy.”
October 30, 2009
Do you ever find yourself promising a dozen of your dearest friends homemade baklava? And then, much later, realize that you need to spend a perfectly inconvenient weeknight elbow-deep in butter and sugar and nuts in order to keep this promise?
Well, if you ever do, here’s what you should throw together for a quick dinner just after you’ve tucked the baklava into the oven and just before your blood sugar levels plummet below the safe-for-husband threshold:
- 2-3 fistfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 pears
- 1 fistful of walnuts
- a toss of blue cheese crumbles
- a splash of balsamic vinegar