February 28, 2010
February graced us with:
- 1 bout of stomach flu
- 1 death in the family
- 1 week of construction
- 1 visit of Very Important Business Partners From Abroad
Here’s an example of what sustained us on those many nights when we barely had enough energy to wield a paring knife for 30 seconds:
Arugula + black bean + corn salad with roasted garlic
- .5 lb frozen corn, cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 fistful arugula
- 1 avocado
- 1 head garlic
- olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper
- Cut off the top of each garlic clove and drizzle with oil.
- Roast the garlic at 400F for 30 minutes.
- While the garlic is roasting, throw the corn, beans, and arugula together and top with avocado. Splash with a touch of olive oil and balsamic vinegar; add salt and pepper to taste.
January 21, 2010
You know what I cooked on this lusciously lazy Thursday night? Not a damn thing. (Well, I guess I did brownify the garlic in some olive oil before tossing it over the arugula–but that hardly counts.)
And now, having licked my fingers, I’m wondering why we don’t have sandwiches more often. Why is my imagination a barren tundra when it comes to thinking of scrumptious, non-traditional things to squeeze between two chunks of bread? Dear reader, please help me out. What must I try?