December 26, 2009
December 7, 2009
This was my weekend to tackle the cookie project. You know: a south-European atheist, baking for the winter holidays?… Yeah, there’s no cookbook for that.
I asked around. I looked at pictures. I googled and googled holiday cookies until I became cross-eyed, coming up with one artery-clogging, besprinkled interpretation after another.
But, reader, I was not feeling it.
Then I went to Fresh Market and just stood there, waiting for the muse to arrive. …Turns out she had been hiding in a bin of hazelnuts the entire time!
Hazelnut + chocolate + black lava salt cookies
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- a pinch of black lava salt (optional, but oh-so-good)
- Mix sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder.
- Toss in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough in little dollops onto a greased baking sheet. Add a couple of grains of black salt to the top of each.
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 375F.
So! Our cookies are ready to go to friends and family… with the exception of the one the cat licked, and the six that Mr. Onepot ate while pretending to busy himself with some very important kitchen business.
October 16, 2009
Happiness is coming home to this.