December 10, 2009
Reader, I made an ugly pie. Tasty as all get-out, but indisputably ugly. You know: the kind that causes your colleagues to exclaim “What’s that?” when you pull it out for lunch–and not in a good way?
Baby portabella + butternut squash pie
- 1 pie crust (yours or Pilsbury’s; I’m not going to judge)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1lb baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 butternut squash, microwaved (like this) and disemboweled
- 1 14oz can roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle pepper (or more, if you’re like me and like FIRE)
- salt to taste
- a toss of shredded cheese
- Sautee the onion, garlic, and mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
- Add the squash innards, tomatoes, salt, and chipotle pepper; stir well to combine.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the pie crust, throw some cheese on top, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F.
So, there you have it: my delicious, homely pie. But what’s missing? Perhaps a sturdy leafy vegetable to add a pop of color? Or maybe a coarsely chopped fennel bulb for some texture contrast? Or should it all just go straight into the Bass-O-Matic?