Yam gnocchi with roasted tomato sauce
December 2, 2009
That blissful holiday weekend of near-hibernation made me realize that my attitude toward the Dark Season has been totally misguided. Instead of putting up a fight, I should just succumb to it!
Between now and March, then, I will answer the call of the me-shaped dent in the sofa as soon as each day’s duties are over, getting up only occasionally to knead some dough, and stir a pot, and get more wine.
So, to kick off this Dark Season Management project, how about a dish that involves kneading and stirring and wine?…
- 2 roasted yams
- 1 egg
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- Combine everything in a mixing bowl.
- Shape the dough into two long logs on a flat surface.
- Cut it into bite-sized gnocchi.
- Cook gnocchi in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and serve.
Chunky roasted tomato sauce with kale and carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 14.5 oz cans roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots, shaved into strips (use a vegetable peeler)
- 1 glug of red wine (+ 1 glug for the cook, while you’re at it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add a splash of wine and let it deglaze for another minute or so.
- Add the tomato sauce, kale, carrots.
- Cook on low for ~20 minutes.
- Serve over the gnocchi–with some feta crumbles, perhaps?