Long bean + bell pepper stir-fry
November 5, 2009
Surely I’m violating my slippery commitment to locavorism by continuing my love affair with these wrinkled yard-long pods, since I’m pretty certain they are not Chicagoans. But, between their mysterious good looks and their lovely name–vigna unguiculata! —how am I to resist?
- ~1lb long beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 3 bell peppers (in my case: 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)
- soy sauce
- fish sauce (what, this gives you the willies? skip it, then)
- 5-6 scallions
- Steam the beans for ~5 minutes. (I know what you’re thinking and yes, I did try this once without steaming them first. A touch on the stringy side!)
- Saute the onion, peppers, and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add a splash of soy sauce and a splash of fish sauce. Keep sautéing for another couple of minutes.
- Add the beans and toss it all together. Stir and toss and stir and toss for another minute or so.
- Don’t forget the scallions on top.
And won’t your coworkers be jealous when you pull out such handsome leftovers at lunch the next day?