Butternut squash + leek soup
October 21, 2009
Perhaps I should say that this started out as a butternut squash + leek soup:
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 leeks
But then, somehow, these guys joined the show:
- 2 carrots
- 1 potato
Why the random amounts? Because that’s precisely how much of each of those things I had in my kitchen. I am sure that more or less of any of the above would be just fine.
If you’re playing along at home, you will also need approximately:
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- Coarsely chop the leeks, carrots and potato. Add them to the boiling water + broth and cook on low until soft (~7 minutes).
- While the vegetables are simmering, poke many a hole in your butternut squash and microwave it for 10-12 minutes. Once it’s cool, peel it and remove the seeds.
- In your blender or food processor, puree the vegetables and broth in batches. Toward the end, add the butternut squash.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. And while you’re at it, surely you will also want to toss in some crushed sage. Look, pretty!
- Really, you want another step?